February 20, 2010

what a month...


I said I'd be better about blogging, and yet it's been a month since the last time I updated you on the happenings of the Little Giffords. I promise I have a good excuse. Actually, I have a bunch of them.

We're all busy. Everyone I know is in perpetual motion - running in different directions all the time. We're no different - between 3 kids, social obligations, sports, our care group and working with our church's youth group, we stay busy any given month. February gives us the added joys (and I really do mean joys) of celebrating Kellen's 12th birthday (on the 14th) and Elliott's 2nd birthday (on the 25th). February also finds me chairing the Knox County High School Mock Trial competition on two Saturdays of the month, which involves approximately 100 students, 40 volunteers, and more than a couple.... ummmm.... very supportive parents. And it's also the shortest month of the year. So February is always jam-packed.

All of that would be enough to make me happy to see March come along, but on top of all that, everyone in my house (well, except me, come to think of it) has been SICK this month. And I don't mean we've had a little bug of some type. We've had 7 trips to the doctor in the last 3 weeks (yes seriously). A list of our ailments? Elliott had the mother of all throw up bugs. Then Wyatt and Kellen got it, and finally Sean. As we were on the mend, Elliott developed a severe respiratory infection and a strange all-over rash. Kellen got a nasty sinus infection. After a week of antibiotics and improvement, Kellen had some major asthma/breathing complications. Then it was Wyatt's turn for a sinus infection. Elliott was well for a week and then got yet another, different respiratory infection, and the first ear infection she's had in many many months (since we discovered her milk issues). Apparently Kellen and Elliott thought we hadn't had enough fun yet, because they each decided to give the throw up bug another go-round. This month we've had zofran, azithromyacin, amoxicillan (times 2), cortizone skin treatments, albuterol breathing treatments (times 2), orapred tablets, prednisone liquid, xoponex inhalers, and ciprodex ear drops. Our pharmacist loooooooves us.

I thought one of the advantages of homeschooling was being able to avoid the little petree dishes called "classmates" who carry so many germs?!?

Anyway - lest it sounds like I'm full of complaints, I should say that the plus side is this: every day my kids are healthy, I give thanks. And as I type, Kellen, Wyatt and Elliott are dancing in a conga-line through the living room - fully recovered and happy. The sound of their giggles is just about enough to make me forget what a rough month it's been... Almost.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so glad we haven't been over in a couple of weeks (kidding). Glad everyone is feeling better and we will be praying it stays that way! We are looking forward to El's birthday party!

Related Posts with Thumbnails