December 20, 2010

itty bitty hats

I've been looking everywhere for a brown baby hat to match our little guy's "coming home" outfit, and haven't been able to find one anywhere, even online.  So I decided if I couldn't find it, I'd make it.

I'd been needing to go to Hobby Lobby to get the fabric, which is hard to do when you're on bedrest.  Then it struck me - I needed brown knit fabric, which is exactly what Tshirts are made of...  Hmmmmm......  

A little google search later, and I found this "pattern" which I used, roughly, to make a couple hats for Cade.

I started with two Tshirts I'll never wear again.  (The Poison one is from a Headbangers Ball we all attended a few years back - good times.)
 Fold one shirt in half so that it's four layers thick.  Draw a "bunny ears pattern along the folded edge and cut.  This is a lot easier to see in the picture I linked to above, because mine's black.
 After you cut, you have a hat front and back.
 Pin the right sides together and sew.
 Turn it inside out and tie your rabbit ears into a knot and, voila!
 I also wanted to make a "one knot" hat, so I kinda guessed at the pattern.  For this, you just lay the shirt flat (2 layers instead of four) and draw a shape like this one.
 Cut it out - it doesn't haven to really be symmetrical (obviously mine are a little crooked...).
 Pin the right sides together and sew.  Since I'll have a December or January baby, I wanted the band on this one a little thicker to cover his ears.  So I cut it longer and then folded it up before sewing so there will be a double layer over his ears.
 After you sew, turn it inside out and tie the knot.  Tada!  The best part is how quick these were to make.  I woke up one morning with the idea, started around 7:45, and was done before my kids asked for breakfast at 8:30.  So easy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails