February 11, 2012

Giving Thanks (or, What a Difference a Week Makes)


This has been an amazing week at the Gifford house, and I feel the need to take a moment and give God thanks for the crazy amazingness.  

To understand why this week is so great, you have to know how not-great last week was.  Last Monday, after months now of various tests, scopes and scans, we got the word that Wyatt has gall stones.  At the ripe old age of 11.  His GI doctor called to say he was referring us to a pediatric surgeon for the removal of his gall bladder.  Then last Wednesday, our dentist shows me Kellen's latest X-ray, and tells me he's referring us to an oral surgeon for the removal two impacted teeth. 

Surgeries for two of my kids was bad enough. But we were not prepared for the next curve ball, which we got at our 20-week anatomy scan/ultrasound last Thursday.  In addition to being told our little Cinco is a boy, we were told that he had two markers for Down Syndrome, and we were being referred to a high risk doc for a Level 2 ultrasound and possible amniocentesis.  Then on Friday and Saturday, we moved everything we own into a new house.

The Bible study I'm a part of has recently been discussing how God created us to be super at everything we do (with His help, of course).  I usually like to believe that - that with Him I am a super-mom, super-wife, super-friend, super being.  Last week, in the midst of the chaos of moving and the chaos of our lives, I felt decidedly un-super. What a difference a week can make.

This week started with a surgical consult for Wyatt, at which the surgeon told us that Wyatt's gall stones are shrinking and don't require surgery right now (or maybe ever).  Then on Wednesday, the orthodontist tells us that Kellen's impacted teeth are actually in a great position (as good as they can be, for being impacted) and he thinks they'll move right into place once the baby teeth are pulled.   No surgery for Kellen either.  

And finally on Thursday, we had our follow-up ultrasound and genetic counseling.  The Level 2 ultrasound measures 10 Down Syndrome markers, and our little Cinco had only one.  (He still has an echogenic focus in his heart, but his kidneys are no longer enlarged.)  With just one marker, my risk of having a baby with DS is no greater than any other woman my age, about a half a percent. 

What happened between last week and this one?  Prayer.  Lots and lots of it, from all directions.  Family, close friends, pastors.  

So our new house still has lots of boxes in it, and I can't find much of anything I'm looking for.  But I've certainly found one thing that I didn't have last week - peace.  And for that, I am so thankful.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I am so thankful Sonda! I am so blessed to call you my best friend! Praising God for answering our prayers! He is always faithful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails