July 6, 2010

swimming and s'mores

The 4th of July at Sean's parents' house was a little more low key this year than others (for one thing, there weren't 90 people there like last year), but we still had a great time cooking out, swimming, playing a little croquet and making s'mores.  And, just like years past, Sean and his brother Eric tried to set each other on fire with a bunch of fireworks.  Here are a few pics from the day:

Elliott was busy watering mamaw's flowers.  Too bad she was using pool water.

Wyatt was busy performing tricks off the diving board.

Kellen was enjoying just "hanging" around.  (Ha ha.  I'm soooo funny.)

 And of course they had a good time goofing off with their cousin Gavin (who had just pushed Wyatt in the pool in this pic).

Elliott and Nolen did their own goofing off.  (See the Spiderman toy in Nolen's hand?  That was quite a source of contention.  I'm guessing that in this picture Elliott is running to tell someone that Nolen took his Spiderman toy.  Elliott, darling, for the 100th time - it's HIS toy.)

While the kids were swimming, the grown-up Giffords took to the croquet field.  Is that right - field?  Course?  What do you call it in croquet?  I guess I ought to learn what it's called, since 3 generations of Giffords take this game QUITE seriously.  

Sean sizes up a shot while his brother and grandmother evaluate.

Sean's dad...

...and mom...

...and grandma, the croquet shark.
 
Everyone wanted to get in on the action, including Dakota, the lab (can you see the red croquet ball in his mouth?)...

...and Nolen and Elliott.  See Uncle Eric cautioning Elliott to swing the mallet near the ground, NOT the knees.

To fill the time before dark/fireworks, the boys made a mess, I mean, s'mores.  

Somehow Wyatt ended up with a marshmallow beard that would put Santa to shame.  (And yes, I know, Wyatt's hair is short.  He begged me for a summer haircut.) 

I have no pictures of the fireworks, or of the kids watching fireworks.  Instead, I was inside holding a trembling 2-year-old.  Elliott really enjoyed the fireworks last year, but this year she was T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D.  We tried to watch them through the glass door from inside the house, but she darted out of my lap and ran towards the living room screaming, "I don't yike it fireworks!  I don't yike it fireworks!" Once we got in the living room she said, "I just watch it fireworks on TD (TV)."  Bless her heart.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

These are great pictures! I love Wyatt's hair cut. Looks like you all had a great time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails